ROASTED TOMATILLO SALSA – FRESHTECH CANNER HACK
This recipe can be canned with the traditional boiling water bath method or with the Ball FreshTECH canning machine. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information and the USDA Guide to Home Canning tomatillos’ pH level makes them safe for home canning following the recipes and cooking times for tomatoes. This recipe also maintains the acidity and consistency of the Ball FreshTECH tomato salsa recipe. This recipe is for locations less than 1,000 feet above sea level.
3 lbs. fresh tomatillos to make 5 cups of chopped tomatillos
7 poblano chiles (or other mild green chile) to make 2 cups chopped chiles
4 large jalapeno peppers to make 1/2 cup
1 cup chopped white onion
1 cup bottled lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 Tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2. Place the tomatillos top side down on a sheet pan and broil for 5 minutes until the skins are charred and the tomatillos are softened.
3. Chop the tomatillos in a food processor. Measure out 5 cups of pulp. (Use any additional pulp in second batch or another recipe.)
4. Add the chopped poblanos and jalapenos, chopped onion, cilantro, oregano, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Chop again briefly in the food processor.
5. Put the tomatillo mixture into a heavy pot. Add the lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
6. Pour into 5 sterilized pint jars and seal. Process on “Salsa 2″ setting on the the FreshTECH canner. Or process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
7. Remove, let cool, check seals.
Share and Enjoy