RECIPE: GRATINS OF BAY SCALLOPS, FIVE VARIATIONS
Spectacularly Delicious originals: Miso Butter Scallop Gratin and Cauliflower Gruyère Gratin.
Each recipe makes about 1/2 cup or so of topping, enough to cover 3-5 shells, with 2-3 bay scallops in each.
1/4 lb. finely chopped mushrooms
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 T. butter
2 T. finely chopped parsley
2 T. heavy cream
thinly sliced rings of scallion greens for garnish
– Sauté shallots in the butter for three minutes, add mushrooms and parsley, and continue to saute for 10 minutes more, over medium-low heat. The mixture will be well browned and the liquid will have evaporated. Salt and pepper, add cream, mix through and set aside.
SPINACH WITH SAFFRON CREAM
6 T. heavy cream
10 oz. baby spinach leaves, wilted in boiling water, refreshed under cold water, squeezed dry and finely chopped
Pinch of saffron threads which have been placed in 1 T. warm water for 30 minutes
– Cook the spinach in 1 T. of the cream. Salt and pepper. Set aside. Then combine the remaining 5 T. cream with the water/saffron mixture and cook over medium heat until it reduces by half and is nice and thick. Set this aside (separately from the spinach).
SMOKED SALMON WITH BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
2 T. olive oil
2 t. balsamic vinegar
1 slice of smoked salmon sliced into thin slivers
– Emulsify the oil and vinegar with the s&p, then stir in the salmon
MISO BUTTER TOPPING
1 T. butter
1/2 t. white miso paste
2 T. panko bread crumbs
– mash the butter and miso together to mix well. Then mix in the panko.
CAULIFLOWER GRUYERE TOPPING
1/4 c. roasted cauliflower, mashed up
2 T. grated Gruyère cheese
1 T. cream
Fresh thyme leaves for garnish
– heat the roasted cauliflower with the cream, s&p and set aside.
TO MAKE THE GRATINS
Divide a quart of fresh bay scallops among the desired amount of shells.
With the spinach/saffron variation, put the spinach on the bottom, then the scallops, then top with the cream.
With the cauliflower, cauliflower first then the cheese added on top of that. (the thyme leaves are sprinkled on top after broiling for garnish)
Mushrooms, miso and salmon are the same: scallops in the shell first, topping on top.
Place the half shells on a stable surface in a broiling pan, and placer under a pre-heated broil for 2-3 minutes. Keep and eye on things. The Miso topping is a good barometer, as the bread crumbs will be the first to brown, so when they're dark, the deal is done.Print This Post
Share and Enjoy